“Burroughs” painted by Jurgan Frederick Huge in watercolors and ink, 1876.
J.F. Huge was born in 1809 in Hamburg, German. The corner of Main and John street was a busy corner, depicted here with horse drawn carriages, shoppers, and busy pedestrians. This painting was featured by the Museum of Folk Art as one of the 100th best pieces of folk art.
Jurgan Frederick Huge (1809-1878) was a German immigrant who painted many local scenes including this watercolor of the Burroughs Building, 1876. This painting, along with several others, are own by the Bridgeport Public Library, including a painting of the Bridgeport lightboat. A painting of Capt. John Brooks Jr.’s steamboat the Nimrod by Huge is at the Barnum Museum.
Catherine Burroughs Pettengill, daughter of Capt. Isaac Burroughs, inherited a fortune from her father’s shipping empire. Upon her death in 1881, Catherine Pettengill bequeathed the Burroughs Building at the corner of Main and John Street to the Bridgeport Public Library for a permanent home. For many years, stores were located on the first floor while the library resided in the upper floors of the building. Still carrying the Burroughs name, the Bridgeport Public Library built a new building at the corner of State and Broad Streets in 1927.
Original Size: 44×34 inches
Hand finished giclee print on Hahnemühle Photo Rag, 308 gsm, a 100% Cotton acid free paper.
Collection: Bridgeport Public Library Historical Center, Bridgeport, Connecticut
For more information call 203-576-7400 ext. 433
“Burroughs” by Jurgen Frederick Huge – POSTER
20 x 16 inches: $100.00
44 x 34 inches: $300.00 (Original Size)
Shipping & Handling $30.00
To order please call 203-576-7400 ext. 433